Step-by-Step Substitute RENEWAL Instructions for 2019-2020 School Year
Please read thoroughly and follow each step.
STEP 1: Teaching/Substitute License issued by Ohio Department of Education (ODE)
- Please note that the licensure system at ODE has changed.
- As of July 1, 2019, ODE will no longer be issuing or renewing Short Term or Long Term Substitute Licenses.
- ODE licensure will now be based on post-secondary coursework completed, related to the area of licensure.See examples below:
- If you had an education degree, you will apply for “Education Degree – Unlimited” (999371).
- A biology major would apply for “integrated science” (132010)
- An English major would apply for “integrated language arts” (050145).
- If your bachelor’s degree major is not related to the areas of licensure, you will apply for “general substitute” (999370).
For complete information on licensure changes, click here to visit their new webpage.
- Also, SAFE is now fully integrated with OH|ID and accessible to all education application users.
NOTE: Attempting to log into OH|ID with SAFE credentials will not work. An OH|ID account must be created first and matched to your existing Department of Education profile. To learn more about OH|ID and to see how to access and navigate the portal, click here to visit the Department of Education OH|ID Portal Help webpage.
- When you apply online through your educator account at https://safe.ode.state.oh.us/portal, you must use the Stark County ESC IRN #049825 for the superintendent’s electronic signature on the license application .
STEP 2: Fingerprinting (BCI/FBI)
- If your last background check has expired, Click here to schedule an appointment.
- If your BCI/FBI was completed elsewhere within the last 365 days AND electronically sent to ODE for licensure, paper copies of those will be accepted, but we must have a copy.
STEP 3: “RETURNING Substitute Teacher” Application through Applicant Tracking
- This application is required to be completed annually.
- Click here to access Applicant Tracking.
- Log in to your account that you created last year, and complete the application for “Job Title: RETURNING Substitute Teacher.” (If you forgot your username or password, follow instructions on the screen.)
- Attach NEW or UPDATED License or Transcript to this application. Be sure to initial the last page, save, and submit.
After the above steps are completed and reviewed,
you will be contacted either for additional information or
you will receive confirmation and sub management information.
For more information, contact the
Tuesday-Friday 8 a.m.-12 p.m. or 1 p.m.-4 p.m.
330-492-8136, ext. 1312