Putting Science and Math in the Hands of Stark County Students
SAMM is a program which provides equitable access to modern scientific instruments to be borrowed by trained teachers for use with Stark County students.
SAMM support through...
- Equipment specialists
- Equipment delivery
- Professional development
- Live organism maintenance & delivery
SAMM provides students...
- Development of critical thinking skills
- Inquiry learning
- Collaborative learning
- Preparation for the 21st century
- Real world problem solving
SAMM provides teachers...
- Support for the 21st century educator
- On-going (sustained) professional development
- Modeling best practices
- Access to research-based curriculum
SAMM delivers equipment for...
- Math classroom use
- Science classroom use
- Star Lab
- UpSide Ohio
SAMM is a joint collaborative of the 17 school districts in Stark County, the Stark County Educational Service Center, area colleges and universities, local industry, and area community organizations. Specific institutions and organizations which have contributed to this collaborative effort include:
- Ashland University
- Canton Crime Lab
- Canton Joint Engineering Council (CJEC)
- Kent State University - Stark Campus
- Malone University
- University of Mount Union
- Stark State College
- Walsh University
Initial funding for the initiative was provided by the following:
- Stark County Schools
- Stark Education Partnership
- The Timken Foundation
- Paul and Carol David Foundation
- The Diebold Foundation
- Martha Holden Jennings Foundation
- The Hoover Foundation
- Copco, Inc.
- Spectronic Instruments, Inc.
Additional funding for the initiative has been provided by the following:
- Math Science Partnership Grant from National Science Foundation (2002-07)
- Paul & Carol David Foundation (2006-08)
- The Deuble Foundation (2006-08)
- The Herbert Hoover Foundation (2006-07)
- The Hoover Foundation (2006-08)
- The Silk Foundation (2006-07)
- The Stark Community Foundation (2006-07)
- The Timken Foundation (2006-08)
For more information, contact:
Coordinator, Curriculum & Instruction